Sunday 2 November 2014

Of Rabbits and Kingdoms


To paraphrase Mad Men’s Lou Avery let me begin by asking, how is everybody today? Ready for your routine read? Just open your mouths and say “Aaaah”
Dr. Rabbit is a five foot six, amiable, not exactly a broth of a lass but pleasant. She looks like a little psychedelic brunette perched on those drawings you see in gift shops without the trippy colors. In black and white
 
Usually when I meet someone I have designs on I use a line on her with enough cheesiness to make a meal and I make it a point of doing the old red blood cell impression , circulating and transmitting onwards the oxygen of the news from cell to cell (at this rate I may need a hormonal performance exam. I’m such a female!). By the time this goes to post my entire phonebook will have known I like a girl.

“Dr. Rabbit, I thought staring into the dentist’s light. Dr. Rabbit, what was I thinking of? Why am I taking it so slow?” “Because you just met her”, I answered myself “What am I frightened of? Why haven’t I said anything?” “Probably the big needle in your mouth”, I answered again. Needles and any other medicaments for that matter give me the willies.
Overcoming Your Fear of the Dentist



Okay let me put this bottle of ‘Pavitra Rishta ‘back in the fridge and start from the beginning. Give it a little background. I sat outside the dentist’s office yawning convincingly at the dentist’s assistant every time she walked in and out. There was no queue and I knew I’d be called in but those of you who know me (Hi, madam receptionist) understand that I’m not a very patient chap. So I walked to the wall where there was a caricature of a Dr. Rabbit and the doc’s minion fighting plaque which had attacked the dental kingdom.

Assistant: John?

*I walk in*

Doc: Hi, John

Me: Hi. You must be Dr. Rabbit

Doc: No! Do I look like a rabbit??

I felt my face flush like someone had opened a valve around my ankles. So much for cheesiness and the meals they make. I couldn’t tell whether she was insulted or she knew what I meant. She did put the poster up or obviously seen it.

I can’t tell whether it was the numbed sense in my mouth that heighted my sense of smell or that she leaned in very close to get a good view of my teeth but I could smell her skin. It wasn’t like a can of perfume crawled up her shirt and died (hi again madam receptionist). It was subtle and nice. Body odor. She was very patient and impossibly lovely.

I want to see her again. Ride my white horse (or a number 15 matatu) back there. Luckily I have more cavities to be fixed. I don’t know how lucky that is.

“And I’m not Dr. Rabbit”, she says as I leave her office. This is what I saw