Sunday 16 November 2014

My Dress My Choice


Matatu drivers are like pilots. They can crash land a vehicle. Now their touts have added a job title to the resume. Strippers! and i'm not talking La Barrels on Langata Rd.  Those dry drunks and dry drug abusers had plans the minute they saw that poor girl…not the least of which was to ‘discipline’ her. They probably touch themselves to sleep every cold night and say that as they chance to touch a woman. That girl may need chemically ingested therapy after that traumatic experience. I know I would. Rome or in this case Nairobi is clearly burning.




There are a thousand thoughts in a man that he doesn’t know about until he takes a pen to write. There are a thousand thoughts in my head right now about miniskirts. I’ll just write one. I like them! And that doesn’t even begin to cover it (see what I did there?;-)) What warm blooded male with a twig and berries doesn’t like miniskirts? Ask a Monk. I’m at a loss. In every conflict or dilemma or issue such as this one, people will claim to espouse some higher order values. For example, the way a lady decides to put on is a matter of her privacy (making the men who contribute to this discussion or show interest seem like some sort of voyeurs), culture, fashion, expression, identity etc. Everyone will feel a need to educate women as to what they may or may not wear. I’m not a women’s clothes aficionado but I know enough to know I like them short. For some ‘aesthetically challenged’ ladies could it be over compensatory behavior? If you can’t see me perhaps you should adjust your vision a little lower? Oh! Hello! There you are.


 A woman once told me that women dress for themselves and for other women. That may be true (or false) but it is men, I believe, who want it. As advertisers would say, ‘men want her. Women want to be her’. On Monday a group known as Kilimani moms plan to go to the streets in their miniskirts to protest. And I will not be surprised to find the same men who complain about short skirts ogling, fighting for space at the windows of their offices and standing on the street to look. I think men should join in this protest. Just keep your miniskirts at home fellas. On a serious note, Lucy asks in the movie, "we were given this earth a billion years ago. What have we done with it?" It cannot be that this is what we do