Sunday 13 May 2012

Prinsloo


So umm, the weekend is here!  mpango?” Now, naturally no one wants to hear of Miko’s ‘mpangos’ and if you knew him, you wouldn’t either.
 He goes on… “Vicky ako tao, NSC- Nakuru Sports Center- and she can get us in.” NSC was the venue for Prinsloo rugby tournament going down that weekend. When the weekend gets here, like any self-loving campus student, one wants to go into town and have fun(swill a few pints, dance ,jishindia fried tubers) and the rugby tournament  with after party in the evening sounded like one helluva  weekend

 


( not to mention that we didn’t have a dime…well, I didn’t on that day and everyone knows Miko NEVER has cash)
“Hatuna kakitu Miko, tutaendaje?” I asked …. “Si nimekushow Vicky ako town? Get this she’s selling at the food tents, and- are you ready for this?- she says she can get us in plus food and drinks are on her!”(Miko hajui ngoso, the convo is for narrative purpose) I knew better than to trust him so I told him to call Vicky to confirm. She confirmed and said she was expecting us. That call earned Miko serious cookie points and obviously I was totally convinced.
It was already evening. Quick shower, kidogo spray on, got all buttered and fitted – Hakuna kuparara. I was excited about chugging down a few Tuskers and getting into some serious necking with those rugby cheering lasses who look like video vixens kwa ngoma za Young Money. Passing guys on our way out I’m like “ Get a load of this guy- haudundi?_?


 I love this froth. wa!alafu Guava lounge baadaye


Got a matatu and 20 min later we are in town with a couple of other mates. We had Kes 500 between us so we decided to stash away Kes 100 for javing back to school and the rest we bought ‘spiro” to ‘changamka’ before we walk to NSC (Yeup! Walk…hakuna pesa ya tuk tuk sasa)
We get to the entrance and Miko is trying to call up Vicky, the next thing we know we are handcuffed..whaaaat!! the police. Are you frigging kidding me?!! Everyone around runs for dear life. How convenient that they caught only the two of us. The embarrassment from folks at the gate staring, woi!  Just my luck. The police now have to chase after the others and leave us


 

You guessed it, we made a ran for it. I dunno what came over us, that was a half-moron idea. After 5 minutes of running, a ‘boda’ pulls in front of us and a policeman sticks a gun in our faces. I almost pissed myself  “mngekula risasi….mnatoroka na pingu?! Kwanza lipeni ‘boda’ tumetumia” and I had to chuck the only 100 bob we had. The second we were caught, I took off my glasses since I knew we were obviously going to get a beat down(I watch the news like everyone so..)
Rodney King got off light, we got ‘bares’ like you’d think we had cancer and a slap was the cure. Miko overheard one of them talk in Kalenjin(or so he told me) " Ongea nao kale watuwachilie/nimeskia mmoja akisema 'kaleiii, kage'" I open my mouth to beg for mercy in Kalenjin and the next thing I know I'm picking grass from my tongue and my ears are ringing...



 



Since we tried to ran, we couldn’t even try to negotiate.We sat by a tree under guard as some other chaps were being rounded up to join us. We spent the night at Central Police Station. To add salt to injury, NSC is just a few meters away and we could hear the music from our cell. If you’ve never been to a cell before, it is not for the faint heart. Big fat FUCK you Miko! (I miss that doofus)                      

 


Inside cells is another story for another day. After making calls we finally got out the next day smelling like we had crawled out the ass of a cow and someone stole one of my shoes in there so I had to buy' rubbers' tukitoka.


PS: My mother insisted that we double up for the Big Brother auditions. Clearly she has never watched an episode of that show. I would rather show up naked than cart along my mom to BBA. Jackson Makini has a got shot at the money. Let the chap at it